Friday, May 18, 2012

Diablo 3 First Impressions

Hello folks! Today I'm going to write a bit about Diablo 3. Here are my first impressions of the game.

Game play
The game play is pretty standard for a dungeon crawling game. You run around and hit things, collect gold, items and xp. There are vast areas to explore and an ungodly amount of achievements. The skill system is interesting, and I'm sure I'll write more on it the further in I get. The game has the same addictive quality that Diablo 2 has. As soon as I hear birds chirping I realize I might want to stop...

Connectivity
The first couple days have been rough with the servers, which is frustrating to say the least. I still don't understand how the company that runs the most successful MMO with literally millions and millions of players can have server issues. Really Blizzard? Did you completely miscalculate how many people would play? I just don't get it.

Graphics
The graphics are disappointing for a modern game. Overall the feel and aesthetics to the game are nice, but characters have almost no detail on them, and on some monsters you can count the polygons. I feel like I'm playing a game that was released in 2006, not 2012. The cinematic videos are nice, but I'm disappointed that your main character has no role in them whatsoever (I know, it would take more resources to have 8 different videos... but really we've been waiting 10 years...)

Group play
So far I've enjoyed playing with my boyfriend. I have not played in any public games or played with anyone else. It's easy to party up and jump to where ever your partner or group is at. On the flip side, I like having a companion for my single player games.

Hardcore, only way to go

I highly recommend playing hardcore mode instead of regular. I might change my tune in the higher difficulties, but for now I couldn't imagine playing the regular way. Perma-death makes for heart pumping, adrenaline filled moments.

So if you haven't gotten Diablo 3, go pick up a copy. Or get the trial from one of your friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment