Monday, June 18, 2012

Borderlands First Impressions

I'm a bit behind on talking about the games I've been playing. The CEO of Gamestop is visiting our store this week, which has made things hectic to say the least. Onto Borderlands!

Lilith and her Robot Friend
Borderlands is a FPRPS (First Person Role Playing Shooter) for the PS3, Xbox360, and PC. You can co-op with up to four people, though only two on a console unless you're online. I played it on PS3 and since we have a plasma TV this made the split screen vertical as opposed to horizontal. Playing a vertical split screen was annoying at first, because when you open your menus you have to scroll around to see everything. Eventually I got used to this and it does make it easier to see things while in combat.

My favorite part of the game is your little robot friends. They've got cute little voices and dance randomly. I love those little dancing robots. I personally am not a huge fan of shooters, but they are starting to grow on me and Borderlands has helped with that. I find it satisfying to score a head shot. I'm getting better at aiming and ammo management as well, though still run out of ammo more frequently than I would like.

I blindly picked the female character Lilith and am glad I did. Lilith's phasewalk ability lets her get in close and personal, and also allows her to escape if things get hairy. I enjoy using the sniper rifle when I can. My boyfriend and I are playing through the campaign together and having fun doing it.

Initially I just checked this game out from work (think of it like a 3 day rental) but quickly turned around and bought the game of the year edition. If you are looking for an intro to shooters and have some buddies to play it with this is a good pick. We also pre-ordered Borderlands 2, which is set to release September 18th. Looking forward to spending more time in Pandora!

So what did I play next? Let's see. I beat Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect. Then I checked out Disgaea 3 and MLB the Show 2008. I'm still playing MMOs, will get some posts on those I promise. 

1 comment:

  1. I was a huge fan of Borderlands. I played as Lilith as well. Her invisibility was an awesome escape mechanic. And I loved how she laughed when she was shooting dudes. She seemed to be having as much fun as I was.

    ReplyDelete